Monday, April 10, 2006

Spring Showers...

It’s a night of nostalgia here in the Stroodler household. I’ve begun looking through old photographs, listening to a little Tears for Fears and Concrete Blonde, and suddenly I’m being sucked back in time to days gone past. I think it’s happening now because the month of April has historically been a period of momentous change for me, and having turned 30 this year, I’ve become little more reflective than I’ve been used to. I also can’t shake the feeling that something important is lurking on the horizon…that a change of some kind is in the cards. In any event, I wanted to share with my readers the magnitude of changes I go through during this month.

April 1978 – Ma and Pa Stroodler bring me and little baby sister Stroodler to the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC all the way from New Jersey. It was my first taste of my new adopted home city, and I was infected immediately...even though it would be another 27 years before I would actually be a resident. It was also momentous because I took a little unexpected “dip” in the Reflecting Pool after thinking I could balance-walk on the stones that line it.

April 1992 – I started my very first job at the Napoleon Public Library in Napoleon, Ohio. This was also the same month in which I returned to DC with my high school marching band to march in the Cherry Blossom festival. Are you sensing a geek theme? Go Wildcats!

April 1994 – I find myself on the grassy common grounds of the University of Cincinnati, studying with my best friends Dave, Donald, and Mitchel. I realize that for the first time in my life, I might actually fail out of a class (quantum physics).

April 1999 – I go on my first real date with a “boi”. Of course, at the time, I couldn’t bring myself to call it a date. It was “coffee.”

April 2004 – I get an offer for an interview for a new job in DC. I’ve wanted to relocate to DC permanently for a while, and now it’s finally within reach.

April 2005 – five months after moving to DC, I loose my beautiful apartment and most of my belongings in a fire. The loss is enormous and I am basically required to start my life over again. On the whole it can obviously be described as a negative experience, but in a way I feel a bit reborn, and when you can successfully emerge from something like that you feel invincible for a time.

So, I'm off to ponder these things and finish listening to "Mexican Moon". I say to to 2006...

Bring it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Roach said...

My my how have you grown! You forgot to post June 2006: I Met Steve Roach and my life became a lot more fun! ;-)

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lordy lordy dayton still misses you...well i do anyways. 26 days...

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home