Monday, September 12, 2005

Here come da...Chief Justice?

As I watched the opening remarks of the Senate confirmation hearings of John Roberts to the Supreme Court, I was continuously amazed at how rediculous the whole process has become. I sat helpless as Senator Kennedy gave us a 15 minute speech on how he's standing up for the poor, the minorities, and the disabled. Senator DeWine went on and on about how former Justice White was amazing and prolific. And I even could pinpoint the exact moment when Senator Kyl actually ran out of ways to say "you don't have to answer any questions about cases that might come before you." I counted seven before he ran out of steam.

Does it bother anyone else that almost every Republican member of the Senate Judiciary Committee made a point to mention how wonderful the recently deceased Chief Justice Rhenquist was in his judicial restraint, and then went on to complain about the judicial activism that is supposedly taking over our courts? I think the whole thing is a show for the cameras. Do we need this right now after the huge tragedy of Hurricane Katrina? Let the government inefficiency continue!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home