Sunday, September 11, 2005

Yeeee Haw!

I've had a hard time coming up with good topics to write about here in the aftermath of the hurrcane that hit the Gulf coast two weeks ago. Yet I feel like I need to keep the blog going, so I'm going to fill it today with the happenings of my weekend.

Friday night was the event all of DC had been waiting for...my housewarming party. However, since I've been in this apartment for over four months, I felt it necessary to rename it the HouseCooling party, also in celebration of the coming of fall, after a not-so-good spring and summer. So I sent out the invitations, bought all the liquor and munchies, picked out the music, and waited for everyone to show up. After a slow start, the party took off. The music seemed to please, Amy Spicer’s Famous Artichoke Dip was a big hit, and the evening remained within socially acceptable boundaries, with no injuries, broken hearts, or ruined furniture. There was an unfortunate incident that left my lime green desk chair and the clothes of my friend Daniel stained with red wine. The stain came out of the chair. I hope Daniel was as fortunate.

Saturday was devoted to one of DC's most famous annual events...the Gay Rodeo. Actually, I think the official name is the Atlantic Stampede Rodeo, but they take no offense at being called "gay" because everyone there was...well...gay. A cadre of friends has been urging me to experience this phenomenon for several years, and this year I relented. Now, if you’re picturing mostly 40+ burly gay men walking around with different color handkerchiefs hanging out of their back pockets, large lesbian cowboys manning food and merchandise booths, and drag queens riding bulls…you are pretty much spot on. There were of course the minority of standard gay boys (or “bois” if that’s the terminology you prefer), some straight “best friend” girls, and even some tiny toddlers who will undoubtedly be asking questions that their parents might find hard to answer. Yet what impressed me most was the relaxed and friendly atmosphere at the fairgrounds that day – something you don’t really get to experience at most gay venues. After being accused of looking “produced” at a club last week, it was relaxing to show up somewhere in ratty jeans, old tennis shoes, messed up hair, and an unshaven face, and feel like I still fit in. Friend Ryan summed up the experience…gay or straight ”a rodeo is the only place where everything smells like horse shit and no one cares.” Afterward we all went to Hooters, had chicken wings, and thanked God for making us gay.

As I awoke Sunday morning and proceeded to my favorite coffee shop on 18th St for the standard Sunday latte and chocolate chip muffin, I noticed that the street had been closed off and fair stands were being erected. It was Adams Morgan Day! I had completely forgotten the date of one of my favorite DC events where the most liberal facets of DC life gather along the main drag in AM and get sunburned while eating tons of great food and getting stickers from every political candidate and social cause imaginable. This is where I fell in love with former political candidate Howard Dean and his movement to “take back America” in 2002. This is where I got my first “Taxation Without Representation” sticker. It’s also the first annual sign that fall is right around the corner here in the middle Atlantic region. It’s a great time of year to be a DC resident. I love my new home.

So, if you see a silver Honda Accord speeding down the Rock Creek Parkway with this bumper sticker, you’ll know you’ve had a brush with Marty…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home