Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Waiting for Hump Day

I just wanted to give you a quick snapshot of my pet peeves today...

#1. It's not snowing...yet.
Just because it's the end of September doesn't mean that you, Metro, can turn all the air conditioners off on their trains AND buses. There are close to 100 people on a Metro car at a time during rush hour in the afternoon, and none of them smell good at the end of the day. Once we can feel a chill in the air, then we can talk about modifying temperature control.

#2. Move over, bitch.
Some of the sidewalks in this city are a bit narrower than others. For the love of God, when you, Chatty Cathy and your companion, approach someone walking the opposite direction, consider walking single-file for thirty seconds, please. I'm sure the conversation isn't so riveting that it can't be held without constant face-to-face contact.

#3. Metro Love
Ok, I get it. You saw me get on the crowded train, and thought I was cute. I could see how you'd be attracted to me - being tall, dark, and handsome (or at least two of the three. You pick). You too were cute, in your dark red polo and JCrew khakis that fit your form very well. Your arms say that you're on your way to the gym after work, and perky hair style tells me that you can look good anywhere. Yet, I'm really tired of the little dance we do, where, in the words of JLo, you "stand just a little too close to me". The car isn't that crowded. You have a lot more room than I do. And that look...what was that!? This is not the place to meet men. I'm sweaty (because of #1), tired, and just trying to get to the Woodley Park stop. However, if you do want to meet me...say something. Even a "God, the train sucks today" would get things started.

4. It's a gym, not a restaraunt.
At the gym, we all need water. This is probably why my gym has three or four drinking fountains strategically positioned to quench the thirst of all us sweaty mens. They are not, however, there for you to fill up your 80 gallon water bottle any time you choose or to spend three minutes there sucking down an equal amount. How is it even possible to drink that much anyway!? Sip and move on!

5. The fact that I can't spell "restaurant".
I don't know why this is. I'm a well-educated, professional, engineer, with a good background, and I'm even learning Mandarin! But because somewhere in 4th grade no one corrected my misspelling, I will be programmed with this for the rest of my life, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

Sorry folks. It's been a long week, and it's only Tuesday night.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*fills 80 gallon water jug all the time.* ha ha ha

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marty. I came across this 'hiking partner' related site and wondered if you know of any other site which might help me to find a hiking partner. Perhaps you could respond to the post and let me know? Many thanks

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home